Togolese Mission to the un
Dr. Frances Colon, Acting Science and Technology Advisor to the
Secretary of State, and U.S. Head of Delegation
Eighteenth Session of the UN Commission on Science and Technology for Development
Thank you Ms. Johnson, for your excellent leadership in guiding the Commission through its activities this past year, and to the Secretariat for its hard work preparing the materials for this meeting. It is a pleasure to be here.
- The Millennium Development Goals set us on a path to remarkable and sustained progress, and gave us a model for the effective and transformative use of the multilateral and multi-stakeholder partnerships to affect global development.
- The MDGs demonstrated global unity on an unprecedented scope and scale and resulted in substantial progress on a host of development challenges, including education, health, and poverty reduction.
- Still, a number of the MDGs have not been met and international consensus demands greater emphasis on environmental sustainability, broad applicability and relevance to all countries, and economic growth as key to sustainable development and poverty alleviation efforts.
- In the coming months as the United Nations continues to focus on the Post-2015 Agenda we must define an inspirational, affirmative, and clear vision for the future – one that citizens the world over can easily understand and grasp; one that is deeply grounded in the best evidence; and one that is practical and drives action.
- This Commission has done much to raise the visibility of science, technology and innovation as critical issues in development and the enabling role of information communication technologies – identifying best practices and fostering action.
Post-2015 Development Agenda
- Over the last two years nations and stakeholders have been engaged in a deliberative process to define the Post-2015 Development Agenda, which will lead to the adoption of a set of Sustainable Development Goals and targets that provide the foundation for future development efforts. We look forward to completing this process and adopting the new agenda at the UN Summit in September.
You might also like
Togolese wood mask, 'Scarecrow'